Repair XP

s99Raj 10:27 26 Jan 07

I'm trying to do a Repair with XP Home.
I start up from CD and press Enter, then F8, then R for Repair (not the Recovery Console).

I've been following the instructions at click here and Step 6 is the worrying one for me where it says "Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact."

I tried this once before but my applications and settings did not remain intact. So now I'm stuck in a loop because if I restart, the computer wants to continue with the setup. Should I carry on?

Stuartli 11:08 26 Jan 07

A Repair XP involves selecting Install until you reach the point where you can choose a Repair.

Stuartli 11:13 26 Jan 07

This may be easier to follow:

click here

EARLR 11:30 26 Jan 07

Bookmarked

s99Raj 11:34 26 Jan 07

Ok, Thanks - it seems to be OK and no files, etc. were deleted. Quite a relief.

Stuartli 12:49 26 Jan 07

I've only had to do an XP Pro Repair twice, each time because I have installed a new motherboard, and it has be done without drama.

The reason for doing so with a new mobo is because XP doesn't always "take" to a new board and doing a Repair immediately from first reboot overcomes any potential problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…