Repair xp

man of steel11 17:39 10 Mar 06

I have windows preinstalled on my pc.If i need to do a scan,due to errors,will i need a windows cd,and will i have to back up my files..thx in advance.

ade.h 18:07 10 Mar 06

What sort of scan; System File Checker?

Diodorus Siculus 18:20 10 Mar 06

Run System File Checker without XP CD
click here

scannow sfc - without XP CD
click here

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 10 Mar 06

It's a good idea to backup your files anyway...

terryf 23:58 11 Mar 06

I can recommend getting an external USB hard drive and a copy of Acronis, make a backup of C drive on your external drive before doing anything else then you will be safer. Acronis helps you to make a bootable CD that allows you to restore from the USB drive if all else fails. I also recommend EA8 to back up all your emails and OE account settings on the usb drive

pifko 00:07 12 Mar 06

If you bought the system from a retailer and Windows was installed, shouldnt you have been given some system restore CDs if everything goes fubar?

The 12th Man 18:04 13 Mar 06

Often the restoration info is stored on a hidden partition on the HDD. You are normally provided with a program to create your own CD's. If you don't create your own CD's and try to install Windows from another disc or format the HDD, you'll need to purchase Windows again.
If you have an OEM and you need to reinstall specific files to fix windows, good luck, I usually have to reinstall Windows entirely.

man of steel11 01:30 11 Apr 06

thx for all the help...some good advice yet again...cheers folks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…