Repair windows xp on a packard bell

Sutts 18:48 22 Oct 07

Some of you may have seen i purchased a graphics card which would not install. Turns out there is a corrupted windows file so i need to reinstall/repair windows xp MEDIA CENTER EDITION.

My computer is a packard bell imedia mc 1538 and was not supplied with an xp disc but it did have in the start menu, an application to repair/reinstall bundled applications and windows.

I was forced to format my d:\ several months ago so it wasd removed from the start menu.

Does anyone know how i can find or where the file/folder will be

skidzy 18:58 22 Oct 07

You maybe lucky and have a hidden partition that holds 3 options.

Restore to factory settings
Repair without data loss
Repair with data loss

Possibly listed differently.

Will have a look for the manual,try tapping F10 or F11 on startup.

However if your os is on D:\ and you formatted the drive...how did you reload the os if you have no disc,did you borrow one ?

You could firstly try sfc

start / run and type
sfc /scannow
and enter

note the space between c and /

Sutts 19:29 22 Oct 07

i tried sfc /scannow and it said that i needed to insert a windows xp disc to copy files to the dll cache.

I'l now try pressing f10/f11 at start up

Strawballs 19:51 22 Oct 07
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:04 22 Oct 07

Point sfc at the i386 folder on the hard drive as per sfc /scannow problems
click here

Sutts 21:06 22 Oct 07

f10/f11 sorted it.

skidzy 21:36 22 Oct 07

Now your sorted Sutts,find the recovery creator program and make the recovery discs...do NOT rely on the recovery partition.

Better still,treat yourself to Acronis and make those regular backups.

Strawballs 21:48 22 Oct 07

I'm with skidzy on this one get acronis true image and you can restore back in about 15 min without having to reinstall drivers and apps it will not even need reactivating.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…