Repair a win2k installation

y_not 18:23 19 Mar 04

After being away for a week I have attempted to re-boot the PC used for video work.

Its quite a low spec but does the job (usually). Duron 700, 384Mb DDR RAM, 2 x 80Gb HDD's, VIVO ATI card and Windows 2000 Pro.

On booting it reports the following error: -

THE FOLLOWING FILE IS MISSING OR CORRUPT \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I have tried a repair from the console, I don't have emergency discs, without success.

Can anyone advise of how I can repair this (in simple terms, please) rather than re-install the O/S, please?

VoG II 18:27 19 Mar 04

Got McAfee? click here

LastChip 18:30 19 Mar 04

Do you have any sort of boot disc that can get you to a DOS prompt?

What file system have you used for W2K? FAT32 or NTFS?

y_not 18:30 19 Mar 04

Thanks Vog. I don't have McAfee but I'll try the solution.

I'll post back once I've tried it.

Many thanks

Tony

y_not 18:42 19 Mar 04

Using the win2k disc I can get to a dos prompt. As I said I didn't make an emergency disc. (I know I should have done!)
File system is NTFS.

VoG II 18:43 19 Mar 04

You can download boot disks click here

LastChip 19:12 19 Mar 04

If you can set your BIOS to boot from a CD and follow the recovery action in VoG's link, it would be the best bet.

The system file you refer to, (I think) has a backup already on the drive. On my system, there is a system file and a system.alt file of exactly the same attributes, sizes creation time and everything else.

The repair process, should be able to recreate that file from the CD, but as a LAST RESORT, I would use the console, and rename the existing "system" file "system.old", and then rename the "system.alt" file, "system" (no quotes!). This may recover the system for you, but NO guarantees!

PS. Have you tried the "Last known good configuration" option?

y_not 20:37 19 Mar 04

Solution - in the end I took the easy option and re-installed win2k over the top of the previous version .... there wasn't anything too dramatic that can't be reproduced.

Thank very much for the help guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…