Repair Install or Reinstall XP Pro?

Major Disaster 19:25 29 Jun 05

Hey!
I have a Dell Laptop running XP Pro with SP2. It has all been a bit funny since after i cancelled a disk clean-up half way through running Windows was deleted. Now it is quite unstable and cant acess task manager by control + alt + delete and i get other things like when trying to install office 97 get an error message about 16 bit windows sub system error even though word 97 is allready there (even though i cant uninstall it as i get the same error message).
So it doesnt look good. What do you think a repair install will do the trick or a full reinstall (yikes!)
Thanks for any help

pcguy 19:31 29 Jun 05

i would do a Repair Install

mattyc_92 19:32 29 Jun 05

Try a repair first... If that doesn't work, you will have to consider formatting and starting afresh.

rawprawn 19:34 29 Jun 05

mattyc_92 seems to have the logical answer.

VoG II 19:35 29 Jun 05

For the 16 bit subsystem error click here and download XP_FIX.EXE

Major Disaster 19:36 29 Jun 05

Ok thanks. And just to clarify, xp repair install installs xp overitself without andy loss of docuemnts/settings etc. but a reinstall is a whole new start and all programmes/files/settings are lost as os is installed a fresh, leaving you with a blank pc, right?

VoG II 19:37 29 Jun 05

Yes. click here

Major Disaster 19:42 29 Jun 05

Vog,
I have just had a quick look at that site. What is the difference between doing a repair install using recovery console or ignoring that, presssing enter, then pressing R and then doing just a repair install?

Stuartli 19:44 29 Jun 05

The Repair option, as pointed out, is best because it saves having to reinstall all your programs etc, but don't forget to reinstall SP2 immediately afterwards and to download all the SP3 and other XP updates since the release of SP2 in August 2004.

I've twice had to Repair XP Pro, once because of acquiring a new motherboard and the fact that XP doesn't always like this fact, and the other becaue of a long since forgotten mishap.

In both cases, to my relief, the Repair and followup SP2 reinstallation went without a hitch.

VoG II 19:45 29 Jun 05

Pressing Enter than R is easier than using the Recovery Cosole IMHO.

Major Disaster 19:47 29 Jun 05

"and to download all the SP3 and other XP updates" SP3? Is there something i am missing. At the mo i am on a XP Home SP2 PC is there a SP3 for XP Pro?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…