Renovating old photographs.

mosfet 19:06 04 Apr 03

After working on old photographs eg. cloning,
levels, brightness etc. the image gets steadily worse in definition the more I work on it even though I've kept it on screen and not been saving it. I've tried working in different formats. If anyone can tell me why this is happening and give me a solution it would be much appreciated.

Les 2

€dstow 19:17 04 Apr 03

Which program are you using to do this retouching work?

€d

Djohn 19:22 04 Apr 03

If you pop out and buy this months issue of, "Digital Photography, Made easy", You will find a Free full copy of, PSP5, and an article on restoring old faded/creased/damaged photo's.

Should give you all the info you need. The Mag. price of £3-99 is well worth it for the PSP5 disk alone!

In the article on restoring, the before shot looks completely beyond saving, but once run through PSP, it's like new. Regards. J.

^wave^ 19:24 04 Apr 03

ok i assume that you are scanning the images well the bright light will cause the original photos to loose definition. you should scan in once then save to a nother file

timothywilliam 19:28 04 Apr 03

I use Serif 6 and find it very good although the Paint Shop Pro's of this world are equally as good.
Are you saving anything in JPEG ?

If so there is a loss of clarity each time you Save with the compression used.

mosfet 21:46 22 Apr 03

Thanks to you all for your help.I'll get the mag.Sorry i havn't got back to you but i had to flatten my pc & had some hassle.I use photoshop7.Now I am using tiff which seems slighly better,not being compresed, but still losing definition.It seems to me that the tools, ie cloning have a sort of aura that reaches further than the eye can see.

hssutton 22:19 22 Apr 03

Les there's not much point in using any other software, you already have the best. are you by any chance using the sharpening tools, as this will create problems for you, also what about the opacity and flow setting when cloning, try them at 100%.

If you are keeping it on screen I don't think it matters much wether you work in Tiff or Jpeg.

woodchip 22:28 22 Apr 03

It's a case of experience, trial and error. You should always save so you can go back to original, if thing do not look right.

Audeal 23:18 22 Apr 03

Always work and save in PhotoShop format and convert only when the picture is finnished. This keeps the quality high and does not degrade each time you save it.

mosfet 21:02 23 Apr 03

Thanks again for the suggestions.It's great to ask around like this

.I'd better tick the box now.
Les

dcarr 04:03 24 Apr 03

Les2 - I work in photo restoring and am active here : click here. This site has more than you can imagine and the folks are more than willing to give advice.
To me it sounds like you are doing all your work on 1 layer. It is best to do all your different restoring on individual layers. Set your tools to very low levels and change opacity of layers to see if there are changes to your original.
when you clone or heal, you are actually smudging pixels, but you can limit the amount of damage by adjustting levels and options. If you go to the site, attach a copy of your work so we can all see what you need to do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…