Renewing Norton subscription warning.

Totally-braindead 15:58 10 Feb 05

A friend of mine has Norton Anti Virus which he has as part of Norton Systemworks 2003 which was due to run out this week. So last week he checked for updates, downloaded the new ones and renewed his Norton subscription for a further year. Immediatly after doing this he rechecked the Norton Updates which you recall he had just done a few minutes before. Imagine his surprise when he discovered that there were over 8 gigabytes of updates available. So why were these updates now available? Surely they should have been there before he renewed his subscription as he was still within the year. Hes come to the conclusion that its some sort of dodgy practice, if not then where have these updates appeared from all of a sudden. If he hadn't updated it immediately prior to renewing his subscription then he'd never have noticed. Now I wouldn't personally describe this as dodgy but those were his words and hes more than a bit angry with Norton. After all its meant to give you all the updates for a year and obviously it doesn't otherwise where did the 8 gigabyte file come from. He phoned me to ask if I knew anything about it but I must admit I'm at a loss to explain it. Can anyone on the Forum give me a reason for this. The only explanation I can think of is there is some updates which Norton choose not to give to its customers until they renew their subscription.

Taff36 16:11 10 Feb 05

8 Gig seems a bit excessive! Are you sure he doesn`t mean 8 MB which could well be the update to NAV 2005 and nothing to do with the definitions you would download weekly? (After all the NAV disc you buy can only hold 700 MB)

Totally-braindead 16:16 10 Feb 05

What am I thinking of! You're quite right Taff36 of course it was 8 meg. But any idea where it could have come from?

RealDopey 16:25 10 Feb 05

Sounds like your friend could have bought himself a product upgrade, not just a years virus subscription?

Taff36 16:30 10 Feb 05

That`s what I said ain`t it? (Hang on - What am I doing in here conversing with you two?)

Only joking!

ventanas 16:37 10 Feb 05

I've just installed NAV 2005 to one of the machines here. The updates after installation totalled 6.6mb.

mattyc_92 16:39 10 Feb 05

That's nothing.... When I install NIS 2005, then I have got around 50megs to download of updates...

ventanas 16:42 10 Feb 05

Probably because NIS has a number of programs, still a lot though. Hard luck if you're on dialup.

mattyc_92 16:52 10 Feb 05

Luckly I'm on bb... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…