renewing laptop hard drive

dvdcllns 20:12 21 Jan 10

I want to renew the hard drive in a laptop. Dell Inspiron 6400 using Vista HP
At present it has an 80Gb drive. I intend to fit a 160 drive and load my own copy of Vista, I have the discs.
Is it a simple case of fitting the drive and then allowing the Vista setup to format the drive for me or is there something fundamental but important for me to do first? I'm not exactly new to computers but haven't done this before.

chub_tor 20:24 21 Jan 10

Video on how to do it click here

dvdcllns 20:33 21 Jan 10

chub_tor
thanks for that, though I think I will use the correct screwdriver rather than what looks like a 'Leatherman'.
However, can I presume that loading the OS is straight forward after fitting the drive as suggested in the clip?

PalaeoBill 21:21 21 Jan 10

If you want to save yourself a lot of time and effort, why not clone the 80Gb hard drive to your new 160Gb drive.
click here

All you need to do is buy a USB cable for either the old or new hard drive and run it as an external USB drive for the cloning process.

Your original idea will work but you will need to re-install the OS plus all the relevant drivers and then all of your software.

dvdcllns 07:59 22 Jan 10

I would but the problem seems to be with the OS. I've already restored the OS from the recovery drive X: and it will not accept updates, well, no more than the first 27 of 96 available. This Vista OS is one of the very first to be let out of the cage (not even SP1) and gives me grief. After restore from X: sometimes it hangs at the Welcome page (spinning disc 'n all), sometimes not. It's out of warranty so I thought I would fit a larger HD and start all over again with a new copy of the OS.

Technotiger 09:03 22 Jan 10

can I presume that loading the OS is straight forward after fitting the drive ......

Yes, it should be straight-forward with an original OS disc!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced