Renewing HDD in external caddy - any pitfalls?

Pineman100 17:44 18 Mar 08

My daughter has an external HDD in a USB caddy, for backups. The drive has become too small for her needs, so I'm going to fit larger capacity one. Her computer runs XP SP2 Home.

I'm OK with the hardware side - fitting the drive into the caddy, setting the jumper to Master, and connecting it to the computer via a USB port.

However, I'm not sure what will happen when the new drive is recognised. Will I encounter any confusion over the fact that it is replacing an old, smaller USB drive?

If someone could just run me through the process of getting the drive recognised, formatting it (NTFS or FAT32?) and so on, I would be very grateful.

Diemmess 17:56 18 Mar 08

If the basic operating system is XP (check NTFS) and format the new drive as that.

No snags I can think of except file space.

You will have to copy everything off the old drive to somewhere safe until the new drive is working and then copy everything back to that.

If you have room on the PC's own HD you could temporarily make a folder called "old-ext" and copy into that, eventually deleting the folder on your PC to regain the space.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 18 Mar 08

Connect by USB

find in disk management

format as NTFS especially if you want files over 4G saved on it.

If plugged into same port it will probably begiven same drive letter.

Pineman100 18:09 18 Mar 08

I seem to remember vaguely that, when I first added the old drive to my daughter's computer, I had to do something to get the drive recognised in Computer Management>Disk Management.

Am I talking rubbish (as usual), or is there something that has to be done before I can format it?

Pineman100 18:11 18 Mar 08

So I don't have to do anything like delete the old drive in Disk Management, before installing the new one?

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:33 18 Mar 08

If you cannot see the drive in My Computer go to start-control panel-admin tools-computer management-storage-disk management and you should be able to see the drives. Right click on the drive that is 'hidden' and select change drive letter/paths...select any other letter preferably from the end of the alphabet..press ok and the disk should appear in my computer..try another letter if it is still hidden. You will not have to delete any old drives but sometimes, esp. if you have a lot of card readers etc, windows gets comfused and needs a push to allocate a drive letter.

G

You do not need to mess about with master switches etc unless you want to boot from the external HD.

Pineman100 19:03 18 Mar 08

I reckon that was what I was trying to remember!

The only other drives are her C: drive and optical drive, so hopefully Windows will oblige with a drive letter. However, thanks to your advice I know what to do if it doesn't.

Many thanks again to everyone.

skidzy 19:08 18 Mar 08

Its a good move to assign a drive letter from the end of the alphabet just as GANDALF <|:-)> says,i have two external drives in caddies and have assigned X and Z...this reduces any confusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5