renewing car tax online

mobileman1953 16:40 PM 10 Jul 11
Answered

so much for all the publicity how easy it is to tax your car online, got my reminder yesterday said i could apply after 05/07/11, so applied today online got refused because my insurance runs out in 2 days time, i have renewed my insurance with a different company which apparantly cannot be shown on insurance database, surely there should be someway for the dvla online service to get round this problem

Woolwell 16:47 PM 10 Jul 11

DVLA can only go on the latest data that is provided to them. If the correct insurance data is not shown on the MID then DVLA cannot issue your tax. The new company should provide the details to MID otherwise you could get stopped by the police as you will show up as uninsured see http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Motorinsurance/DG_071948

EARLR 16:48 PM 10 Jul 11

I would ask my new ins. co. why its not shown on the ins. database

mobileman1953 17:10 PM 10 Jul 11

new insurance does not start till 13/07/11 so why should new company put it on database till then , i am not insured with them till then so they would be giving false info to the police

EARLR 17:28 PM 10 Jul 11

Then tax it on the 13th.

Diemmess 17:41 PM 10 Jul 11

It is now we are talking about. Did you cancel your old policy or inform the previous company that you would not be renewing?

If you were just letting your old policy expire, then obviously the old company have no right to end cover before the expiry of their cover.

Hopefully, you can try DVLA again after 13/7/11, meanwhile why not phone the old co. and ask them for an explanation. I assume you already have a certificate from the new insurer.

I do understand your dilemma and anger with DVLA. That body seems to behave as though any mistakes by themselves are your fault. Best to play this one softly by checking what the two insurance companies believe is in force. Ideally some written confirmation even an email stating that for a short time you are still covered by the original policy.

mobileman1953 17:42 PM 10 Jul 11

i could tax it on the 13th but that is not what i originally complained about

mobileman1953 17:45 PM 10 Jul 11

Diemmess i checked on the mid database and that shows i am insured, so as i stated the new company must not add it to the mid till the policy starts on the 13th

Diemmess 17:46 PM 10 Jul 11
Answer

It is now we are talking about. Did you cancel your old policy or inform the previous company that you would not be renewing?

If you were just letting your old policy expire, then obviously the old company have no right to end cover before the expiry of their policy.

Hopefully, you can try DVLA again after 13/7/11, meanwhile why not phone the old co. and ask them for an explanation. I assume you already have a certificate from the new insurer.

I do understand your dilemma and anger with DVLA. That body seems to behave as though any mistakes by themselves are your fault. Best to play this one softly by checking what the two insurance companies believe is in force. Ideally some written confirmation even an email stating that for a short time you are still covered by the original policy.

Diemmess 17:48 PM 10 Jul 11

First time I have managed to duplicate a post........Sorry

mobileman1953 18:05 PM 10 Jul 11

Diemmess no problem thanks for your advice i will look into it tomorrow

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? Windows 10 is now available, so do you have to upgrade? 8 reasons…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

How to run Windows 10 on Mac: How to run Windows 10 using Boot Camp or VirtualBox to install…