Renaming W95 folder

MICKY BOY 10:30 21 Mar 04

The following was posted a few days ago. Have found out that you can put one W95 on top of another by renaming to win.old and then installing.
But can anybody explain in simple language how to carry out such a task as I am fairly new to all this, but I want to learn. I presume that you have to use the Dos prompt.
Any advice please.

Regards Mick

Can anybody help? I have an old computer running W95 version A.
But have obtained a full version of W95 version B. Would I be able to install the newer version of Windows (W95 B) without losing the installed software that came pre-installed on the computer or any of my files?.
I know that it would be possible if it was an upgrade version W95 B, but I am not sure being a full version. Is there any way it can be done as certain software will only work with the later version of Windows.

VoG II 10:34 21 Mar 04

Did you try woodchip's advice to simply install "over the top"? click here

MICKY BOY 11:01 21 Mar 04

Yes I did. But windows stopped me installing full version and told me to obtain an upgrade.
Also your thread suggested renaming window. Thanks
But how do I rename windows folder?

VoG II 16:31 21 Mar 04

To rename to win.old start the computer with a bootdisk.

At the A:\>type C: then press [Enter]

At C:\>type cd windows [Enter]

At C:\Windows\>type rename win.old

If you don't know how to make a bootdisk (startup disk) (and I've long since forgotten how to do this in W95) download one from click here

VoG II 16:32 21 Mar 04

At C:\Windows\>type rename win.old [Enter]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…