Renaming files

skew 05:23 20 Feb 07

Renaming files has always been simple. Right click, click rename from menu etc.etc.
Now it isn't so simple. I was renaming some digital images (jpegs.) from camera to something more informative when I got the message "ïf you change the file name extension, the file may become unuseable.
Are you sure you want to change it? Yes/No.
Thought at first it was just something wrong in Photoshop but thought a little and tried other files, such as .doc files in Word etc. I get the same message every time. Found if I type in new file name plus the extension then everything is OK. If I just type file name it is accepted without an extension and programme will then not recognise it.

Only recent change to computer (XPHome SP2) was resizing of partitions using Partition Magic.

davdo 06:12 20 Feb 07

Open explorer and click on 'Tools' at the top of the screen.Then click on 'Folder Options' then 'View' and check the box that says 'Hide extensions for known file types'.After that you should be back to normal.

skew 19:17 20 Feb 07

Thanks davdo. Will do right away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…