Renaming & Deleting Folders in XP

Tonymac 12:31 06 Oct 04

I have this problem when trying to rename or delete a folder in Windows XP. The sequence of events is as follows:-

1) Open a folder 'A' and copy a file from it and paste the file into folder 'B'. After returning to folder 'A' I cannot rename or delete the folder 'A'.

Prior to copying the file I was able to rename or delete the folder 'A'.

2) After returning to folder 'B' and successfully deleting the file in it I then cannot rename or delete the folder 'B'.

Prior to deleting the file I was able to rename or delete the folder.

In both instances the following message appears in a pop-up box
"Cannot rename folder 'A'. Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not in use"

If I restart my PC I can then rename or delete the folders 'A' and 'B'.

Can somebody please explain these events. I have only just started using XP (XP2 installed OK)

Baledor 12:38 06 Oct 04

the folder, it is not 'open' in the tree view on the left hand pane.

In other words click on another folder, in the left hand pane, then right click on the folder and select delete.

Tonymac 13:42 06 Oct 04

Still not resolved

bretsky 15:53 06 Oct 04

I don't know whether this will shed any more light for yoclick here

bretsky ;0)

dave h 18:05 06 Oct 04

I believe that if you wish to delete or rename a folder, then you have to be in the next folder 'Up' (that is the folder you wish to rename/delete, must be in the list of folders in the RIGHT-hand window).

Tonymac 09:10 07 Oct 04

Still not resolved. Cannot reach your web site bretsky. Could it be something to do with the registry?

bretsky 13:15 07 Oct 04

click here

Try this

bretsky ;0)

bretsky 13:18 07 Oct 04

Yeah, sorry about my first link, got messed up somehow, you should now be able to access it.

bretsky ;0)

Tonymac 14:33 07 Oct 04

Thanks bretsky. Seems that there is or there will be a Microsoft Hotfix for my problem. I wil let you know if it resoves my problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…