Rename my wireless router

NikolaiVronsky 06:53 02 Oct 07

Without re-installing the router [SpeedTouch] is there any way to rename the router for my systems at home?

For example, if I have called it Fred, then how can I change the name to Bert. [fictitious names of course]

I assume I would have to re-register it for all PCs that use it.

mgmcc 08:40 02 Oct 07

What the Wireless Network Adapters find when they scan for "Available Wireless Networks" is the router's SSID. If you go into the router's wireless configuration page, you can change the SSID from Fred to Bert.

Then, in each PC, delete the existing wireless profile for Fred and go through the procedure to "Connect" to Bert, when a new profile will be saved.

NikolaiVronsky 10:09 02 Oct 07

Thanks - am having problems finding the wireless config page.

Situation is:

Desktop PC connected to router by ethernet. Runs XP.

Laptop uses wireless connection. Vista.

Have tried changing SSID using wireless wizard and have applied flash drive to laptop.

have powered everything on and off.always worth a try....

laptop will only recognise the original SSID

don't want to completely re-install the router from the SpeedTouch CD and chance losing a working system.

may simply stay with original SSID unless there are any other clarifications/suggestions

mgmcc 14:33 03 Oct 07

Type the router's IP address into your web browser to open its configuration pages and you should then be able to find the "wireless" settings, including its SSID.

NikolaiVronsky 20:28 03 Oct 07

Fantastic!

yep, problem sorted.

many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5