Rename boot drive?

techy gal 12:36 12 Nov 05

I have had to replace my old C: drive as it had become corrupt.
The original C: drive had all the O/S and programs on and my D: drive has all documents, photos etc.
Since installing the new drive I notice that old D: has been renamed C: and the new drive is called F:. Frankly this is a bit confusing so I have tried to change C: to D: through Disk Manangement but there is no option to select D:
Alos as we know Disk Management won't allow the boot disk to be changed
Can anyone help me make my drive letters all neat and tidy again, please?

Chegs ® 12:47 12 Nov 05

Not unless you either reinstall XP,or use a 3rd party app such as Partition Magic.

techy gal 12:52 12 Nov 05

If I were to reinstall XP do you kow at wht point I can tell it what to name the drive?

mgmcc 12:56 12 Nov 05

If Windows is now installed in "F" drive, the only way to change that would be to reinstall, as the registry entries will all point to the OS in "F".

If you disconnect your "slave" drive that took over the drive letter "C", install Windows in your new drive as "C", the slave drive, when reconnected, should take on the next "free" drive letter. Presumably "D" and "E" are CD/DVD drives. If you want the second hard drive to be "D", reassign the CD/DVD drive that's currently using "D" to an unused letter then change "F" to "D". The CD/DVD drive can then be given "F" which will now be unused.

powerless 13:08 12 Nov 05

click here

Full systems back up first, if you attempt it.

techy gal 14:09 12 Nov 05

thanks, I'll give this a go

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…