Rename all files in a folder

johnincrete 07:52 13 Nov 10

I have over 200 hymns that have been ripped from purchased CDs to make selection & play easier (under CCL licence so I think it's all legal) They were ripped using Nero with default file name which includes artist before title and other stuff (won't do that again!).
I've created an index by DIR >> text file and importing it into Excel where the extraneous text was easily edited out to produce a list in alphabetical order (the list has Hymn Book page number as well as categories etc and number of verses)
It would be great if it were possible to automatically rename all the track file names to remove the extraneous text to leave only the hymn name. Is it possible or is it easier to delete & re-rip? I'm using XP but have access to computers with Vista & Windows 7

jack 09:09 13 Nov 10

Right click on a file- the drop down allows for rename- do it - go to the next, and the next and the next.........

VoG II 09:26 13 Nov 10

If you have a table in Excel with the existing file names in one column and the desired names in another column, this can be achieved using a macro. If you can provide details I'll have a go.

mimosa418 09:31 13 Nov 10

Bulk Rename Utility will do you job and it is free.
click here

johnincrete 14:22 13 Nov 10

VoG
Thanks but I've already done it using edit & replace.
mimosa418
Thanks - program did just what I wanted and has saved me much time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…