Removing/changing the startup screen

dontaskme 08:15 30 Aug 03

I have always wondered whether i can remove the 'tiny' screen that boots up before windows. maybe even change it to something interesting.

How is it done?

Andsome 08:36 30 Aug 03

Why bother about it, it's all over and done with in a couple of minutes? If it ain't broke don't fix it, you could do more harm than good.

-pops- 08:36 30 Aug 03

Messing about with such fundamental parts of your computer will result in disaster.

The screen you are talking about, indeed any part of the start up process, is there for a few seconds. If it causes so much concern and heartache, look away for the short time it is on.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:40 30 Aug 03

click here

go to wallpaper and look for entries marked logo.sys.

some even come with a setup file.

only work for win98/ME.

dontaskme 18:04 30 Aug 03

It's not that i don't like it. I just want to improve my knowledge.

keith-236785 20:59 30 Aug 03

the files for startup splash screen and shutdown screen are

logo.sys and logos.sys

do a search for them, they are in the windows folder somewhere, make sure you have "show all files" selected.

this is not the case if you are on windows XP, but as far as i know all other windows up to xp use these files.

you can replace these with your own screens but as others have said, it might just crash your computer so be warned.......i agree with Andsome's comment if it aint broke............

your choice though, good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…