removing xp updates

pookie 12:28 04 Aug 03

Hi

XP home edition with all xp updates (critical and security) downloaded, except 811493 (from memory - the update that slows the system).

In add remove programs I have alot of hotfixs and updates. can I remove all of these without effecting service pack 1 or is sp1 some of these hotfixs? SP1 was downloaded from microsoft site. I want to delete all updates, apart from sp1, as I don't use that pc for internet use at all and I'm running out of space on hard drive. Also curious if it'll speed up benchmarks.

Many thanks

P

Big Elf 12:41 04 Aug 03

You could always create a restore point and then experiment. However the restore files will use up disk space.

The Transporter 12:43 04 Aug 03

BUT the amount of time it would take to work out which ones are part of XP SP1 and which are SP2 hotfixes would take a bit of time. It is faster just to install XP and then put the SP1 on. 30 mins max.

If you do want to uninstall Hotfixes etc. DO each 1 seperately and reboot after each one. Will take you a while.

SEASHANTY 16:52 04 Aug 03

As I recall from the windows update window some of the updates I have installed on XP have stated that quote ONCE INSTALLED THIS UPDATE CANNOT BE REMOVED unquote. This is Microsofts wording so I took this to mean that you installed this at your own risk and if removal was needed you would have to delete and re-install XP completely.

pookie 19:05 04 Aug 03

thanks for replies - re-install it is then

cheers

P

Rayuk 19:19 04 Aug 03

What about system restore or is it turned off

pookie 08:22 05 Aug 03

Hi

System restore - i did some performance tweaks (one of which deleted all system restore points) so i can't restore to original date after i put sp1 on. i have now reactivated system restore.

thanks

P

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017