Removing an XP pc from a Windows Server 2003 network

dikul 12:21 PM 02 Sep 12

I have a Windows XP Professional laptop which is part of a network that is running on a server using Windows Server 2003. The laptop only uses the server to save files, Office 2007 and the operating system being installed as normal. I am now in a situation where the laptop needs to be totally stand alone. As I did not do the original installation I assume that during the Windows XP setup the option which showed that the laptop was to be part of the server's domain would have been selected.

Now for the question: Would I be able to change this option without reinstalling windows XP (i.e. to allow the laptop to start up without having to login into the server domain, which is the current situation - the laptop starts up into WIndows but then I have to log in before I get to the desktop.). All the files can be backed up and do not pose a problem, but there are a couple of programs on there which will be almost impossible to reinstall if I have to start from scratch.

Secret-Squirrel 12:51 PM 02 Sep 12

Assuming that you're logging in via the "Log On to Windows" dialogue box that has a username, password, and Log On To box, you simply select "This Computer" from the drop-down list box. That's designed to by-pass the server's authentication and log you into the laptop locally - providing of course there's a local account setup for you. It's possible however that'll log you in with a different user's profile.

If that works fine, and providing you've got the required permissions, you should be able to leave the domain via Control Panel -> System -> "Computer Name" tab -> "Change" button -> Select "Workgroup" instead of "Domain".

dikul 13:03 PM 02 Sep 12

Secret-Squirrel

You're a star! You are correct of course, it' s been so long since I have needed to do anything but a straight forward login I had forgotten about the login drop down box. Mike

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites