Removing XP

denali 11:23 25 Jul 04

I was given an old PC with winxp pro on it. It really does not work very well at all.(My friend moved to Bahrain) I say old, but it has pentium four. 2.8 gigs 120 hard disk and tons of other stuff. Unfortunately There are no XP disks. Would someone be kind enough to tell me how to format the drive enabling me to put another OS on.

Many thanks

Valvegrid 11:44 25 Jul 04

What O/S are you thinking of put on it? Do you have any O/S disks?

denali 12:17 25 Jul 04

I have disks for 98,98se and will get XP if I can remove this one

SEASHANTY 12:25 25 Jul 04

One link here click here

SEASHANTY 12:33 25 Jul 04

There is another online guide to doing a complete reinstall of Windows 98 but you will need to reformat the hard disk first. 98 uses the FAT32 file
system whereas the present XP O/S is most likely on
the disk as NTFS file system. If you purchase a copy
of XP Home it will be easier to do a reinstall of XP. See if you can obtain an OEM copy of XP as this is cheaper although you will not get support for this from MS. Guide for reinstall 98 is here
click here

SEASHANTY 12:37 25 Jul 04

...and, of course, the link to How To Format Your Hard Drive
click here

SEASHANTY 12:55 25 Jul 04

You may have trouble converting NTFS back to FAT32.
There is a link here from somebody who managed to overcome the problem click here
Seems a bit complicated tho. If you don't intend to purchase a new XP disc (they are quite costly) you could purchase a new hard drive 80 or 120GB and install and load your windows 98SE O/S onto that but
you would still need the motherboard drivers disc plus any other drivers discs for graphics and perhaps any other media cards.

SEASHANTY 13:02 25 Jul 04

For what its worth I will point you to these links from Google on this subject.
click here
A reformat without an XP disc to reinstall (not to mention backup drivers) presents something of a problem.

Valvegrid 13:17 25 Jul 04

Just as a matter of interest it's very easy to reformat back to FAT32 from NTFS, just remove the partitions with DELPART.EXE, then run the Windows 98 boot to use FDISK and FORMAT.

delpart.exe doesn't care what the partition is, it'll remove it.

click here

SEASHANTY 13:29 25 Jul 04

Thanks valvegrid will try to remember this. I have found another link to removing the partitions from
mrstevenrogers (last posting) on this forum
click here
I think if I needed to do this tho I would open the
box containing Partition Magic 8 which has been dust collecting on a shelf for many months now.

SEASHANTY 13:32 25 Jul 04

I think denali's best bet would be to purchase a new
copy of XP. It would save a lot of hassle.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos