Removing Write Protect on SM Card

Mark8882 09:30 30 Jan 04

I have a SM card for an Olympus C-860L digital camera. When I try to write files to it either in my PC or taking a photo on the camera it will not work. On the camera it says it has failed and on the PC it says it is write protected.

Is there a way of removing write protection on these cards?

AubreyS 09:57 30 Jan 04

Do you have a small round silver sticker on it? If so, try removing it.

AubreyS 10:09 30 Jan 04

Mark.

Please reply here on the forum so others can see rather than email.

Have you another card that you can try? If that card is OK and the faulty card is under warranty maybe you could get it replaced?

Chegs ® 10:09 30 Jan 04

I have a SM reader,I can find no way to recreate the prob your having.If the camera cannot use it either,I think its possibly a duff card.

Mark8882 10:15 30 Jan 04

i think that the card reader must have a fault as this is the second card that it has eaten. I will find out if it is under warranty.

Thanks

Sheila-214876 11:12 30 Jan 04

Just looked at my SM card and along one of the long edges is a little yellow slider. I assume that is the Write Protect tab, rather like the one on floppy disks. Can't test it myself as I don't have the camera with me at the moment.

Sheila-214876 11:26 30 Jan 04

Having just posted the above response my camera has now been returned to me. I tried the slider and when the camera is switched on it says "Card Locked". Move the slider and try again.

Chegs ® 13:58 30 Jan 04

click here

A : Contact area

B : Write protect pad (check here,make sure no stickers)

C : Label position

D : 5V: Notch on left side,
3. 3V: Notch on right side

E : Memory size display area

click here

If you format the card with windows,it ruins the cards.I had an 2Mb card,that I used to store a couple of pics on,I used format to wipe the card in its reader,and it ceased working completely.The camera kept telling me "No card" when I put it in.

Sheila-214876 18:00 30 Jan 04

Apologies all Chegs ® is right. Anyone know where I can get another brain from? I was looking at an SD card. Just checked an SM card and the link that Chegs ® gives is good. I seem to remember getting a couple of sticky silver foil pads with the card, I didn't know what they were so I threw them away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…