Removing win98 from dual boot system

Diodorus Siculus 17:30 03 Oct 04

I have win98 on C drive, dual booting with Win2k on D drive and I have not used Win98 for months so have decided to remove it. Win 98 was installed first, then win2k.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;285480 this is Microsoft's suggestion, but something tells me that it is not that easy!

What about ntdetect.com? Does that not need to be saved?

What about my ghost images of Win2k? Do they not presuppose the presence of win98 on the other disk?

I would be grateful for any suggestions / pointers. Thanks, Dio.

howard60 17:50 03 Oct 04

right click my computer and then the advanced tab and you can edit your startup options. You can tell it not to start c: drive but be warned that if you then reformatted c the system would not know to boot from d.

Diodorus Siculus 19:44 03 Oct 04

howard60 - thanks, that is why I need to know what to save, and how.

If anyone has a guide, I would be grateful - or else may just go with a clean install of Win2k on C: after formatting it.

But I am happy with my setup of Win2k and don't want to lose it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:31 04 Oct 04

Any more takers...

temp003 10:07 04 Oct 04

Hi, Diodorus Siculus. It is almost that simple.

I assume, as is normally the case, that w2k is your default OS in the OS selection menu.

Get into Folder Options, View to enable show hidden files and folders, disable hide file extensions, disable hide protected OS files, OK.

Find the file c:\boot.ini. Right click the file, Properties, and if it is Read-Onnly, remove the tick and click OK. Double click the file.

Just delete the line under [operating systems] that says:

c;\="Microsoft Windows 98"

(should be the last line in the file).

You can restart now, or later, but when you do, you will boot straight into w2k.

Then simply delete the 98 folders on C. They would normally be My Documents folder, WINDOWS folder, Program Files folder (assuming you have not installed any program from within w2k on to the C drive).

You do not need to uninstall the 98 programs if they have been installed on C:\Program Files.

Just leave the individual files on the C root directory alone, especially ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini.

One file you can delete from the C root directory is bootsect.dat - it's the file for loading 98 when in a dual boot with w2k.

Diodorus Siculus 10:16 04 Oct 04

temp003 - thanks for that.

It was the files, ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini that I was concerned about as I realise that they are necessary to boot with.

I am still wondering how to move Win2k to C drive - my many years of computing tell me to have C as the bootable drive... not that it has to be, I understand, but I would like it to be.

Maybe I will leave well enough alone and simply use Partition Magic to take away some of the space allocated to the Win98 drive.

But one last question:

suppose I copy the three files (ntldr, ntdetect.com and boot.ini), format C, and put them back, and then edit boot.ini, to point it to C as the source for win2k, will that work? Or will a repair of win2k with the CD do it for me?

temp003 10:21 04 Oct 04

Your ghost image of w2k.

If it is an image of the w2k partition itself, that image should be complete, except for the boot files which are on the C partition. But as long as the 3 boot files (ntldr, ntdetect.com, boot.ini) remain on C, your w2k (or any restored ghost image) can still be loaded.

You can also create a w2k bootable floppy. Insert floppy, right click Drive A and select Format (you must take this step, even with a brand new floppy, and must do it in w2k itself - in order for the floppy to be w2k-bootable).

Then copy the 3 boot files from C to the floppy. Label it. This serves as a backup and a boot floppy. If ever your boot files get corrupted, you can use the floppy to load w2k (assuming w2k is otherwise fine - which usually is, as you well know).

If ever you want or need to format C (such as turning it into NTFS), you must have a backup of the boot files first. Then go into Recovery Console, type format c: (or if you want to use ntfs, you must then type format c: /fs:ntfs).

After formatting in Recovery Console, copy the 3 files back on to the newly formatted C partition. Then type

fixboot c:

and press Enter to restore the w2k boot sector on C. Exit Console and restart, and it should be fine.

Diodorus Siculus 10:26 04 Oct 04

OK - that looks good and I will give it a go.

Thanks for your time and expertise; it is much appreciated.

I will leave this unticked till I get the job done!

temp003 10:41 04 Oct 04

Our posts crossed.

The main thing that I would be concerned about with moving the w2k installation to C is the registry, which would contain numerous references to the old drive letter. I suspect most things will work, but there might be niggles. You could try searching for all instances of "x:" where x is the drive letter for your existing w2k partition, and change them all to "c:". I did this after I changed the drive letter for my CD drives, that took a bit of time, but this would take much longer.

Having the OS partition drive letter other than C shouldn't bother you. After all, you have been doing this for as long as you have had w2k. It certainly doesn't bother me. I like w2k so much I have 3 copies of w2k on my computer multi-booting with one another on C, D and J. Imagine J! o:)

Your idea of shrinking C and giving the extra space to the w2k partition is not bad. After resizing the partitions, I would do a defrag of the w2k drive (and if you use Norton SpeedDisk, hopefully it will move the w2k files as near the front as possible). You can also consider adding an extra page file to C (and reducing the original pagefile) so that it's nearer the front of the hdd, and let w2k select which is the better pagefile to use.

Anyway, good luck.

Diodorus Siculus 10:53 04 Oct 04

No, they did not cross: I was thankful for all of your details at 10.21 :-}

Anyway, I am going to shrink C to 2GB and leave it and forget about it. As I have almost 200GB of hdd space, it will not be missed.

I have told win2k not to offer a boot menu anyway - it just boots into win2k straight away. It was just my desire to clean up a bit that made me want to remove it. As it is I will leave it on D drive.

I have a 2gb partition which is used as a swap file (and nothing else) and that seems to be fine.

Thanks for your time again; it is appreciated. I am a big fan of Win2k and don't see any point moving to XP. I had to buy a laptop a few months ago and it has winXP Pro but I much prefer 2k - it seems to do most that XP does, but will less intrusion.

temp003 11:19 04 Oct 04

I feel exactly the same way about my recent xp laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…