removing vista, replace with xp

roxin 10:15 04 Oct 10

I'm trying to remove vista from my laptop dell AFD D630 and replace it with xp. I've tried booting with xp cd but it doesn't give me the format option instead it says "setup did not find any harddisk drives installed in your computer.What should i do?

woodchip 10:22 04 Oct 10

Have you removed Vista by Format or Deleting Partitions?

If it cannot find the drive it sounds like you removed the Partition, in that case you need may be Sata drivers loading before you can load XP. You would also need XP drivers for all the Hardware in the PC after loading XP

roxin 11:19 04 Oct 10

hi woodchip!
actually I booted the laptop from the xp cd and it started copying files and then it gave 3 options one of which was- to setup xp press enter - without giving the format option. after pressing enter it gave me the - setup didnot find any harddisk drives. So there is nothing I actually did beside inserting the cd and choosing setup

woodchip 11:35 04 Oct 10

Then its most likely removed the Partition before trying to run setup. in that case you will need Sata Drivers for the Hard Drive loading so that XP can see the drive. Funny as XP will normal tell you to load these if you have a disc

woodchip 11:36 04 Oct 10

Is it a Full XP CD not for another Computer and do you have the Key for it?

roxin 11:43 04 Oct 10

yes its a full xp cd and i have the key

woodchip 11:58 04 Oct 10

Then you could use Killdisk to clear the Partition and Hard Drive of all info. then try loading XP by just starting with CD in the drive. click here download free version on the left

woodchip 11:59 04 Oct 10

it cannot be run in windows. You need to run from a Floppy or USB drive

woodchip 12:00 04 Oct 10

Or CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017