Removing Virus Manually

My AVG system has identified file SQL.JPM.DLL as a virus. It can't remove it. I can't remove it manually either. The dialogue box tells me it's in use and therefore can't be altered. So long as it's there it's causing no end of trouble. What's the secret of removing these sorts of pests please?

VoG II 17:04 20 Jun 04

Try in Safe Mode. Restart and keep tapping the F8 key just before the Windows screen loads. Then select Safe Mode from the menu that should appear.

Dorsai 17:53 20 Jun 04

I had a .dll file do this to me too. had the devil's own job deleting it. My virus prog (norton) said it was a threat, but could not delete it. safe mode did not help me (But you try it, just in case) .

I went into registry editor and serched for the file. 200 odd entries. it was mentioned just about every where and any where you care to mention. i guess it was the 'unwanted progs insurance' against deleting. post yourself into the registry here there any everywhere, so you can't be deleted. in the end i took my PC's life into my own hands and manuall deleted all referances to the DLL in safe mode, deleted the DLL, emptied the R/B.

it did the trick, but i would not reccomend it..

david.h 18:01 20 Jun 04

if your pc is that riddled with the virus, i would fdisk the the hard drive,and start with a clean reinstall just for peace of mind.

Dorsai 18:11 20 Jun 04

David h.

I did.

Got new HDD's , Raid array, 160GB total, clean install...start from scratch..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…