removing unwanted exe file

jayatissa 14:38 PM 21 Aug 11

there is au unwanted exe file in most of the folders I have opened recently when I am in the University. When double click the file it opens and says email message from [email protected] with a heading EMVITRC-PC is coming. I think this file is spreading automatically. How can I stop it spreading and remove it. Tried erase by selecting all but eraser is not working. Advises are highly appreciated.

Graphicool1 14:55 PM 21 Aug 11

Do a system scan with your anti-virus programme.

jayatissa 17:27 PM 21 Aug 11

System scan did not help. Can you suggest a method to remove files with same extension in every folder at once. The file's extension is .eml or suggest amethod to remove EMVITRC-PC.eml file from all folders at once. this is the name of the file copied to all folders automatically.

rdave13 19:13 PM 21 Aug 11

Try running Stinger .

rdave13 19:21 PM 21 Aug 11

PS running it in safe mode would be better.

jayatissa 19:14 PM 22 Aug 11

Stringer detected few more trojans, etc. But I removed the .eml files in all shared folders manually deleting in safe mode first. Thereafter run stringer and it worked. Now problem solved I belive. Thank you very much for your valuble contributions.

rdave13 20:45 PM 22 Aug 11

Glad it worked. I'd certainly think about sharing folders with others and also make it a routine to scan borrowed usb flash drives before opening them. Thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016