removing unwanted exe file

jayatissa 21 Aug 11

there is au unwanted exe file in most of the folders I have opened recently when I am in the University. When double click the file it opens and says email message from [email protected] with a heading EMVITRC-PC is coming. I think this file is spreading automatically. How can I stop it spreading and remove it. Tried erase by selecting all but eraser is not working. Advises are highly appreciated.

Graphicool1 21 Aug 11

Do a system scan with your anti-virus programme.

jayatissa 21 Aug 11

System scan did not help. Can you suggest a method to remove files with same extension in every folder at once. The file's extension is .eml or suggest amethod to remove EMVITRC-PC.eml file from all folders at once. this is the name of the file copied to all folders automatically.

rdave13 21 Aug 11

Try running Stinger .

rdave13 21 Aug 11

PS running it in safe mode would be better.

jayatissa 22 Aug 11

Stringer detected few more trojans, etc. But I removed the .eml files in all shared folders manually deleting in safe mode first. Thereafter run stringer and it worked. Now problem solved I belive. Thank you very much for your valuble contributions.

rdave13 22 Aug 11

Glad it worked. I'd certainly think about sharing folders with others and also make it a routine to scan borrowed usb flash drives before opening them. Thanks for the feedback.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

Encore creates eerie effects for Spielberg's new TV show The Whispers

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message