Removing unwanted adult files

Saltyseadog 10:59 29 Nov 04

I would appreciate some help in trying to remove some unwanted adult files that have appeared on my computer. The following two files have been picked up by my Norton virus checker and spybot, Norton says it is unable to delete these files, they are as follows:-

Threat category: DialerSource: UniDist.ocx,Description: The compressed file UniDist.ocx within C:\Internet Files\Content.IE5\E3MRUL6F\UniDist[1].CAB is a Dialer threat.
Threat category: DialerSource: loader.exe,Description: The compressed file loader.exe within C:\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\E3MRUL6F\loader[1].cab is a Dialer threat.

I am running windows XP and have Norton Security 2005 installed and have a broadband connection, I understand that the files are obviously associated with an autodialler program which presumably needs a dial up connection and theoretically shouldn't affect me but I find the popups that keep occurring very annoying and would like to get rid of them. Does this require a Regedit or is there any other option.

rawprawn 11:15 29 Nov 04

Download and run this free 30 day trial of Spy Sweeper from click here Tur your system restore off before scanning (don't forget to turn it back on again when you have finished)

curlylad 11:44 29 Nov 04

Try these ad-aware SE personal click here , a² free click here

mattyc_92 12:36 29 Nov 04

You canm also go into "Safe Mode" and try deleting the files from there

Completealias 12:43 29 Nov 04

Try clearing out your temperory internet files as well, and manually deleting the files in those locations. The temperory internet file is a hidden folder so you need to change explorers view settings to be able to c it.

Saltyseadog 15:59 29 Nov 04

Thank you for everyone's help, the a2free programme seems to have sorted it out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…