Removing Trojans and replacing infected files.

Newuser1081 09:44 05 Mar 05

I have a Dell notebook using Windows XP SP2.I use Trend Micro Internet Security and my last manual scan revealed that I have two files infected with TROJ_SMALLAC trojan. The files are:-
C:\dload.exe
C:\System Volume Information\_r...

They have been quarantined and the recommended action is to delete them.Can anyone tell me (1) What would be the result if I do delete them {2) How could I replace them with clean files?

I do not have a Windows XP disk. I do have another PC using Windows XP. I have done a search but cannot find either of these files.

I will be grateful for any advice.

Diodorus Siculus 09:50 05 Mar 05

Feel free to delete them; they are not system files - simply the trojans you are informed about. Delete them and forget them!

Seems too that one of them is in your system recovery files. You need to turn off your restore points, scan again, reboot and turn on system restore.

VoG II 09:53 05 Mar 05

You do not want these files.

Dload.exe is a dialer click here

The other one is in a Restore Point and cannot do any harm unless you use System Restore to that restore point. You can remove it by turning System Restore off then on again. click here

NOTE: doing this will delete all of your existing restore points.

Newuser1081 12:18 05 Mar 05

Many thanks to Diodorus Siculus and VoG. That did the trick.

Richard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…