Removing toolbars

captain birdseye 10:23 21 Jan 03
  captain birdseye 10:23 21 Jan 03

How do I remove an item from a toolbar in Win 98 please? If I right click the taskbar at the bottom (near the time) of the screen I am presented with a submenu. One of the items on the submenu is Toolbars. If I click that I am presented with a series of toolbars to either show or hide......how do I get rid of one of these toolbars to prevent people displaying it and activating it please?

Thanks.

Pesala 11:11 21 Jan 03

The default toolbars (I use Windows ME) are Links, Address, Desktop, and Quick Launch.

I doubt that it is possible to remove these, but a utility like Tweak UI might do it.

I added more toolbars: Accessories, Graphics, Reference, System Tools, and Entertainment.

I have taskbars at both top and bottom of the screen. I use Autohide so that they take up no workspace. I don't like a clutter of icons on the desktop, so mine has only the Recyle bin, My Computer, and My Network Places. I never use the latter, so I hide it behind the Taskbar, which is at the top of the screen.

I don't have to share my PC, so I can keep my system just as I like it.

However, if you share your PC you can set it up to remember different configurations for different users. When you log on using your name and password, your settings are saved. Any changes that you make to the Start menu, etc., will not be seen by other users, and any changes they make will not be seen by you.

Control Panel, Users, and follow the prompts to configure your PC for multiple users and to save personalised settings.

captain birdseye 11:36 21 Jan 03

Hi Pesala,

Thanks for the help...one of my users has created a new toolbar in addition to the defaults of Links, Address, Desktop and Quicklaunch. It is this custom toolbar that I wish to remove. I have managed to disable it but would still like to remove the title.

Cheers

Pesala 23:59 21 Jan 03

When I click on any of my custom toolbars that are ticked, they disappar completely from the list. I have to choose, add new toolbar to replace them.

BRYNIT 01:23 22 Jan 03

Have you tried to right click on the tool bar you don't want and go up to close tool bar this should del the tool bar that was created. It does it on my win 98. The other thing you can try right click on any icon in the tool bar and delet it.

captain birdseye 09:04 22 Jan 03

Have managed to disable the toolbar, ie nothing happens when clicking (right or left) on the entry in the pop up menu but just as a final clean up I would like to remove the entry from the pop up menu.
Thanks Pesala and Brynit for your help so far.

I`ll tick this `cos it is 95% resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…