Removing stubborn software

Alan Ryan 11:01 01 Jun 04

About a year ago I installed Microsoft Office 97 (Professional Edition):I've never had much use for it so now I want to uninstall it and recover the 62MB it consumes. It refuses to uninstall from Remove Programmes: I get a message saying,
"Setup cannot access initialisation file". How can I get round this blockage: is it a registry edit job. Any advice please ?

johnsims 11:26 01 Jun 04

This may seem a bit back to front, but try doing a repair or renistall first as it seems that a file may have become corrupted. Long time since I used Office 97, but I think if you put the CD in, one of the options when it auto runs is to Repair Office Installation, if so choose that, if not try a reinstall over the top of the existing. Once you are done you may be able to uninstall it as the "initialisation file" (whatever that is!!) should have been fixed/replaced.

Failing that it means either finding utility somewhere or searching through the registry and deleting everything to do with Office 97 -- just make sure you back the registry up first!

Alan Ryan 11:36 01 Jun 04

Thanks: I'll try the Repair option using the installation CD first, and see what happens.

johnsims 12:00 01 Jun 04

Have a look at this MS KB article re removal using the registry editer click here;EN-US;158658
This article is for Win95/98 There is a link to a this article for ME/2K/XP

It refers to a downloadable "office removal wizard"

Let us know how you get on.

johnsims 12:02 01 Jun 04

click here;EN-US;158658

Forum software refused to include the bit after kb in the click here link, I'll try again but you may have to manually enter itno your browser.

johnsims 12:03 01 Jun 04

"click here;EN-US;158658"

copy and paste - remove the quotatiion marks

Alan Ryan 12:10 01 Jun 04

Thanks John:
I've had a quick look at the link you gave: the article you refer to is complicated and I'll need to study it at length before taking any further action.

johnsims 12:14 01 Jun 04

good hunting!

sattman 14:03 01 Jun 04

Not sure about office 97 but in MS office 2000 the repair option comes up when you go to uninstall in add/remove programmes

Alan Ryan 15:09 01 Jun 04

Haven't found the repair option in Office 97: I'm still digesting the instructions from Microsoft Knowledge Base articles - which guide you through the uninstall procedure by using either an eraser utility or a removal wizard (which might be the same thing)or by editing the registry. My efforts so far have removed Office 97 with the bonus of also removing Outlook Express. So I'm not there yet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…