Removing stains/marks off a BxW jpeg picture

GaT7 11:10 13 Feb 07

I've managed to remove all the stains/marks off a BxW jpeg picture (from a scan of my neighbour's old family photo), with the exception of two conspicuous bits on one of the children's nostrils - see screenshot click here. What's the best way to remove them please?

The other stains - on even surfaces/clothing/the background - were easy enough to remove/camouflage with the help of Paint.net (latest v3). To achieve this, I used a combination of copy/paste (clone?), colour-picker & brush tools. I've got PSP9 as well, but didn't find it as easy to use, but willing to learn how to use it to remove the 2 stains.

It's important for us to get it as good as possible as the pic is going to be printed+framed, & presented as a gift. It has to be a DIY job as we cannot afford a pro service. G

P.S. This post is unrelated to my other post about a photo colouriser click here

€dstowe 11:24 13 Feb 07

Despite this being a B/W picture, the link appears to show a colour rendering of it.

You could hide more of the disfigurement by converting the picture to B/W with your graphics software.

In Paint.net: Layers-> Adjustments -> Desaturate.

Ho-Lin-Sok 11:40 13 Feb 07

click here
Just a quickie used the clone tool and converted to B&W

GaT7 14:18 13 Feb 07

Thanks for the replies guys.

€dstowe, yes you're right on both accounts. It was scanned as a colour pic as I wanted to retain as much of the original's 'tint' as possible. What I could do I suppose is convert to B&W, remove as much of the stain as possible & give it back it's original tint - or at least the closest I can manage it.

Ho-Lin-Sok, that's very good. I've just learnt how to use the clone tool properly! I'm going to give it a go. G

jack 14:48 13 Feb 07

I have not seen your picture in the original form.
However- many 'stains' and 'discolouration' on old prints are caused by imperfect fixing when originally made all those years ago, and the gradual oxidization of the silver content of the emulsion.
To get rid of these ,the best way is to work on the original print before scanning.
A careful application of metal/silver polish such as Brasso or Goddard's , allow to dry and buff off with a soft cloth/cotton wool- works wonders.

eedcam 23:06 13 Feb 07

You could select the stain and just grey scale the selection then adjust the shade preferably with levels possibly with contrast /brightnesss

GaT7 18:06 14 Feb 07

Thanks again guys.

jack, most were circular stains, made by droplets of tea/coffee/oil - at least that's what they looked like to me. But good tip about discolouration cleaning, I'll try that next time (if I can get my hands on those cleaners you mentioned).

eedcam, I think your method may be suitable for even textures. But not so much for the 'uneven' structure of a nose with shadows & facial lines in this case. Or, I may have been doing it wrong!

Anyway, the clone tool worked quite well in the end, & the pics have been uploaded for printing. G

eedcam 22:36 14 Feb 07

Worked fine when I did it in photoshop onyour sample at least

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…