Removing Seagate on track message at boot

number69 20:17 01 Mar 03

Hi.
I have just added a extra H.D.D. using the seagate disk wizard to transfer everything from my old h.d.d. to my new h.d.d.
Everything works perfectly but every time I boot up I get the message "starting Seagate ontrack"
then a box containg Seagate information and under that the message "press space bar to boot from diskette" If I leave it without touching any keys after about 20 second that goes off and the machine then boots up normally.
Can anyone tell me how to remove this.
The operating system is a dual boot Xp / Me.
and did not display this before installing the second drive.
Thanks

Pesala 20:28 01 Mar 03

I used to have onTrack Disk Manager on my Western Digital Drive. The software loads some code to overcome BIOS limitations enabling older PCs to support larger hard disks.

click here

I don't think you can disable it; and you need to make a special boot up floppy disk with the necessary binary files on it. If you boot from a standard recovery disk you won't be able to access your hard drive.

Sorry if this is all a bit vague. I haven't used it for well over a year.

number69 21:02 01 Mar 03

Thanks for the reply it is as you say ontrack disc manager
after waiting for the message to disapear the next thing I get is a screen giving the choice of which system I wish to boot from ME or xp
after making the choice everything works fine.
it is just the delay waiting for the ontrack message to go off. that I have never had before.

number69 17:51 03 Mar 03

I still have not resolved this problem can anyone help. at first I thought the only problem was the delay it starting but now I find if I put XP into hiberbnate mode it goes through the motion but when I start it back up it dosn't start from hibernation but as if it had not been put into hibernation but switched off.

Ironman556 18:19 03 Mar 03

It allows Windows to handle the large drive. I reformatted, and cleared the MBR on my primary drive, after re-installing windows I couldn't access my Seagate drive, although there was a driver installed. The problem was that the format had removed the disk wizard so that when I booted there was nothing to tell Win 98 how to handle the drive. (60 GB)

I'm guessing you've got it because you're using ME.

If you do want to remove it, go to click here and use the Disk Wizard Starter Edition Diskett, to re-write the MBR without the Disk Wizard bits, but you'll probably lose the use of your drive under ME.

Ironman.

number69 18:45 03 Mar 03

Many thanks for the reply Ironman.
I have now got used to the delay but it is the problem with hibernate that I would like to resolve.
I originally had 2 hard drives on the system both Seagate 1 a 30gb the other a 20gb and I had no problems with either messages on boot or with xp hibernation. I took the 20 gb h.d.d. out of the system and fitted it in another machine. and put in a 80gb in this machine in place of the 20 gb. thats when the problem started

Ironman556 19:00 03 Mar 03

Have you tried emailing Seagate support about the problem? I was very impressed with their response time when I had a problem, and they told me exactly how to sort it, and it worked perfectly.

(I don't know if you'd realised or not, but the pause to put a disk in is standard, it doesn't mean there's a problem. I think it does it so that you can access your larger drives through DOS)

If the problem only started after the drive was installed then it's quite possible that that could be the problem. You could also check Windows Update, I think Windows 98/ME can handle anything up to 55GB, but there can be problems with anything higher capacity than that (hence the need for the disk wizard). It may be a problem with Win not doing somthing it should, in which case you'll need to get an update/fix for it.

Good luck. Ironman.

number69 20:14 03 Mar 03

Thanks again Ironman
I have e mailed Seagate and await their response

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…