Removing SBS settings from Laptop

misterb 17:07 27 Jan 08

I have been using my own laptop while working for a company that utilises SBS or is it Terminal Server )knwledge of networking not brilliant!)

I am now leaving their employ, and I want to return my laptop to how it was before they attached it to the SBS.

I guess I have 2 options - one is to reformat the laptop which ideally I don't want to do, or I remove the settings myself, the preferred option.

As far as I can see it, there are 2 main areas to remove - the automatic My Documents synchronize. If I go to my documents and "tools" "synchronize" and disable the options, presumeably that will switch it off and I can carry on using my documents normally ?

The second is outlook - my email account is set up on exchange server. If I delete that and set up a new POP3/SMTP account, presumeably that will work with the data that is already contained in Outlook. My mailbox is shown as "Mailbox - my name" ?

Alternatively, I can take acopy of the mailbox file and rename it.pst and move it, then make the email account changes in outlook and then move the new .pst file back ?

Will the above work, and is there anything else I need to do ?

I'm not worried about keeping the user accounts as I'd like to keep the password on sign in etc etc unless that needs changing, deleting etc...

Thanks in advance.

misterb 20:39 27 Jan 08

anyone ?

tullie 20:52 27 Jan 08

Whats SBS?

brundle 21:29 27 Jan 08

Small Business Server.

Will the machine allow you to remove it from the domain ? (Control Panel/System/Computer Name, rename, change Workgroup name). If you have problems proceed very carefully; click here

Otherwise what you've described should work as you expect.

Burpie 21:38 27 Jan 08

I've done a bit of searching and found this: click here

Follow the link posted on the site and proceed at your own risk- I've never had to use SBS.

As far as your emails go it shouldn't be a problem click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos