Removing Programmes

Claudia 20:25 22 Jan 03
  Claudia 20:25 22 Jan 03

I recently uninstalled a programme from my computer (Win98) using the Add/Remove facility and was prompted to delete some parts manually, I took note of the details and, according to my notes I can do this by opening Registry Editor, this might be a "dumb" question guys but how do I do this?
Claudia

VoG™ 20:27 22 Jan 03

Start, Run, type

REGEDIT

and Enter.

The first thing you must do is save a backup. File/Export and save somewhere convenient like the desktop. Then if things go pear-shaped, double-click the backup to restore.

hgrock 22:16 22 Jan 03

the best advice i can give you Claudia is if you are not certain how to do it don't. if you damage the registry your PC may not restart of a program may no longer work. stisk with the adremove

VoG™ 22:38 22 Jan 03

hgrock is right in that if you do mess up the registry then your 'puter may not boot.

Having said that, if you can navigate in Windows Explorer, you are competent to do the same in the registry. Just don't be tempted to alter anything other than those entries that you want to remove.

If your machine is working correctly after the uninstall, and you are not confident to edit the registry, then don't bother. You will just be leaving behind a couple of "orphan" registry entries that most of us have.

Forum Editor 23:08 22 Jan 03

and provided you backup the registry in the way he suggested you'll not come to harm. Only remove registry entries that relate to the application you have removed, and you should be fine.

If in doubt, do nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…