Removing Partitions

Carol Sco 16:42 27 Aug 03

I will say sorry first if this is long winded and confusing!
IBM Think pad(A20m) running windows98 with 40g HD.

I had to replace the HD after the old on failed and thought it would be a simple case of running FDISK / format/load windows back in but when I attempt to remove the partitions in FDISK I can't get any where.
The drive info is pridos: 517mbytes
2: EXT DOS 1023 Fat16
Total space 38154m bytes
It lists the extended DOS partition as containing logical dos drives but when you ask to see the info it comes back no logical drives.
I hope this is enough information for someone to help me out here.

Diemmess 17:05 27 Aug 03

This is presumably not a new HD?

Speaking lamely from my own experience and assuming this "new HD" to be the only one in circuit, boot from your 98 setup floppy and at the A: prompt type Fdisk and <Ent>

You will be asked if you want Large disk support Y/N choose yes (This will ensure that you can make Fat32 partitions. .......... Then should display a DOS menu with 4 choices, choice 4 is display partition information.
You will almost certainly have to remove all the partitions one at a time, but starting with any extended partitons first.

When you have no partitions you start by making a primary dos partition and then making it active.

I assume you don't want more than one partition, and now you can come out of FDISK and go back in to FORMAT that single partition.

woodchip 17:12 27 Aug 03

If it's a new drive there would not be any partitions to remove. But to do the above you need Acronis Disc Administratore, OR Partition Magic. It makes a easy job of it.

Carol Sco 17:16 27 Aug 03

Thank you
When I attempt to remove the Extended DOS partition it tells me that you cannot while logical drives exist.
I can't remove any of the partitions no matter what order i attempt to do it in.
i am using the wind 98 boot disk to get into dos to run fsdisk and your right the drive is a "second hand" new one for me....and it's the only one in the circuit.

Carol Sco 17:18 27 Aug 03

To run partition magic is it straight forward?
I have never used it before always managed with fsdisk.

woodchip 18:47 27 Aug 03

If it's a fairly new Machine you can go into bios setup when starting your computer and on the second screen you can change the boot order of your computer. Set it to start with CD-ROM as the first device it looks at, exit and save setting put the CD in and it should boot to Partition Magic If you cannot do this, you need a friend to let you create the two floppies that it works with and just start with number one floppy and follow the instructions look in the menu for things you want to do if you cannot see the buttons I use Acronis but it's just what you get used to. Do not load the boot loader that's for dual boot computers, for if you wanted to run two OS's

woodchip 18:49 27 Aug 03

PS every thing is graphical so you should not have any probs

Carol Sco 18:57 27 Aug 03

Thank you!
Will let you know how i get on......

Carol Sco 10:56 28 Aug 03

Thanks for your help (again) PM done the trick and i now have the whole 40 gig to play with.

woodchip 12:44 28 Aug 03

Glad to hear it's done the job

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…