Removing old versions of Java

Mike_R 17:18 31 Jul 08

I am running under Vista and have Java (TM) Update 4, 5 and 7. I thought that I had better remove the older two versions and attempted it using the program uninstall feature with Broadband not running.
After a short while I got a message "an unidentified program wants access to your computer" so I cancelled the action. On checking I found that Broadband had been connected.
I would welcome advice on what is going on and whether I should have trusted the unidentified program

skidzy 17:30 31 Jul 08

am i correct you are still working with MWR to clean your machine ?

If so,you would be better sticking with them,i have noticed they have asked you to update your Java !

You can post your query with them,as its possible you may have a trojan dialer.

Stick to the original MWR thread.

Mike_R 17:42 31 Jul 08

Yes, I'm still working with MWR to clear my son's Acer laptop. As it was suggested that I delete all the old versions of Java on the laptop, I thought that I had better do the same on my own desktop.
If I also have a problem on mine, I'll leave contacting MWR for a little while. I am using my own PC to email MWR about the laptop and am transferring programs and logs between my PC and the laptop by CD.

rawprawn 17:42 31 Jul 08

I have had this message and I think it is simply a new program that your IE protection asks for permission. Tick Allow and the box do not show this again.You should update Java the current is V 6 update 7.
I hope I haven't misunderstood

skidzy 17:50 31 Jul 08

Sorry Mike i assumed wrongly it was the same machine.

here are the removal instructions click here

You may need to use the MS cleanup utility.

Zak 19:14 31 Jul 08

click here

Excellent piece of open source software removes all old JRE installations. Also can check for new version.

More info

click here

Mike_R 12:11 01 Aug 08

If Rawprawn is correct,why would IE open Broadband? It didn't happen on my son's laptop which, admittedly, is running under XP.
I have run a Norton scan on my desktop and found nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…