removing Norton Internet Security

hawthorn59 11:46 12 Apr 08

Hi

1 Norton Internet Security was installed on my new laptop and Im in the process of removing it. I read a review of it, and it wasnt great. In addition the review said that even by using Norton Removal Tool, some files are still left. Will this matter when I install new antivirus software etc?

2 Im considering AVG, and the Vista firewall. Should I add adaware or anything else?

thanks folks

h

skidzy 11:54 12 Apr 08

Once you have removed Norton using the removal tool,use Vista search (start box) and type

Norton and remove everything it finds
Symantec and remove everything it finds.

Also run ccleaner click here

Also check the registry and remove any Symantec and Norton entries.

Avg free works well with Vista.

For reference click here

hawthorn59 12:24 12 Apr 08

One problem, I have to decide when downloading removal tool whether its a 2008 or 2007 product! I cant find out which it is. There seems to be no Help\About tab on NIS.

h

skidzy 13:05 12 Apr 08

What about in add and remove programs ? or in the start / all programs ?

JoeC 13:40 12 Apr 08

Click Help & Support at top right, then click on About - you'll find what you need there.

hawthorn59 14:42 12 Apr 08

Couldn actually find the year; but turns out it doesnt matter. The removal tool appears to be the same for all. It seemed to work ok. Just searched for Norton and found nothing.

I know strictly speaking this should be a new post but As Im here I'll chance it! I installed AVG. I got some problem report from Vista, recommending the latest version. But I have that, 7.5. I think it might just have been while I was updating the files. It seems fine now.

HOWEVER, I did a scan. Found nothing thankfully, BUT the scan took 1 hour 11 minutes, and scanned 131,000 objects (files?).

Surely this cant be right?! And I thought norton was slow! And its going to scan every day! Help!

If this is so, is there a programme that takess less time?

h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…