Removing MSN Messenger

W C Boggs 22:07 21 Apr 08

I've just realised that I seem to have two versions of MSN Messenger running in parallel - "Windows Messenger v4.7 (4.7.3001)" and "Windows Live Messenger" (latest version). The former keeps telling people I'm online, even though I'm not logged into the latter.

I thought I'd uninstall all elements of Messenger and start again, but that only got rid of the new version, not the older one. The only component I can still find is simply called "MSN". When I tried to uninstall it, it said, "MSN has experienced a problem and cannot continue. If you are running low on memory, try closing spme programs and running MSN again."

My PC has 2GB RAM, and there are no other applications running. All I want to do is have one version (the latest) of Windows Live Messenger working!

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks!

Fried~Chips 22:11 21 Apr 08

I take it you have XP Home. Go into Add/Remove Programmes and select the option on the left which says windows components. Takes a few mo's to get into it and then scroll down the list and then uncheck Messenger.

Then restart machine in the program list from the start menu you will possibly still see the older icon, right click and delete this.

That should sort it. If you have been using both then you will also need to uninstall live messenger in add/remove programmes and reinstall this.

audeal 22:18 21 Apr 08

How to remove "Windows Messenger" completely from computer:

Start, Run, type or paste in
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
and click OK.

As it says Windows Messenger at the top I do not know if it will remove MSN Messenger but worth a try. I have used it only today and it worked.

brundle 22:44 21 Apr 08

Windows Messenger is v4.7,v5.0 or v5.1 - anything else is MSN Messenger. Confusingly similar names but they are separate products.

W C Boggs 22:46 21 Apr 08

Thanks for your help everyone. I tried Fried~Chips suggestion, and all seems ok now. Forgive me for not seeing earlier the huge button saying "remove Windows components"......!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…