Removing Messenger on start up

cat22 19:43 25 Apr 04

I've recently bought a laptop with Windows XP and everytime I start up I get a pop up saying that there is a more up to date version of Messenger available. I don't want to use Messenger and so tried to remove it but was told that it could interfere with running other programs if I remove it. How can I stop messenger from starting up everytime or remove it safely?

NGE 19:45 25 Apr 04

first, double click on messenger and go to tools, options, preferences and untick run this program when windows starts. It should get rid of your problem, but to remove it go to control panel> add or remove programs, and click on the add or remove windows components on left hand side, then untick windows messenger at the bottom of the list and click ok.

cat22 19:52 25 Apr 04

Thanks for the response. Will removing the program have an adverse affect on anything else? Heard somewhere that it causes problems when using internet browser.

NGE 19:52 25 Apr 04

i dont think so. I removed it without a problem.

cat22 20:06 25 Apr 04

It's worked! Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…