Removing Messenger

Wul799 15:42 20 Mar 03

I do not use Messenger and do not expect to want to,so reading Feb issue I decided to run unmessenger.reg,especially as this seemed to provide an option to change my mind,ie remessenger.reg.
However having run the software Iwas'nt sure it had worked because looking at services running on your computer Messenger was shown as running.Not only that but I had some messages pop up on screen.
Eventually I saw the April edition of Pc Adv with the tip to kill the Messenger(humanely).Ran this software from the CD but got response ADVANCED INF Install ERROR unregistering the OCX 16422.Tried to run remessenger.reg (which seemed to work) followed by the software shortcut to kill the Mesenger again.But same error message.Help?

MAJ 15:57 20 Mar 03

I don't know which reg files you ran, but I think you're talking about two different things, Windows Messenger and Messenger Service. Windows Messenger is the instant message thingy. The Messenger Service is the thing that allows those popups you're talking about.

To get disable the Messenger Service click here

To get rid of Windows Messenger go to Start > Run and type in:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

and hit OK.

gemstone 16:00 20 Mar 03

Have you tried the sysoc.inf wayfind the SYSOC.inf file in Windows\inf and open it, you will see a list of windows, 'bits' like this

Notice some lines have ,hide,7 at the end, if you remove the hide and leave ,,7 when you save the changes and reboot, that component of windows will show up in the add\remove section from where you can remove it safely in the normal manner, works for any ,hide, file of which messenger is one, I no longer have it on my system (unlike other methods it doesn't just hide it, it does remove it) Only thing you gotta watch is IE 6 updates which put it back again.

Wul799 18:07 20 Mar 03

Re response from MAJ.
Thanks for your response,your suggestion to get rid of Windows Messenger is precisely what I tried to run,because that was the shortcut command on the April PC ADV disk.I ran the shortcut to avoid making a mistake in typing,which the Magazine said the originator had done.The Magazine said the command was case sensitive and I notice there are case differences between what they printed as the command and what you have shown.
you show RunDll32 a..........\INF\.......
they show rundll32 a..........\inf\........

Could this be causing the error I got? AS you see I am fairly computer learner standard.

€dstow 18:22 20 Mar 03

You can do untold damage and possibly total destruction by removing bits that come as part of Windows systems without knowing fully what you are doing. Not a job for " fairly computer learner standard".

I suggest that you leave well alone or, at the very least make a full system backup before you try anything.

watchful 19:03 20 Mar 03

The link given by MAJ above gets rid of those annoying grey windows pop-ups. It worked for me.

VoG™ 19:08 20 Mar 03

Copy and paste from click here

barrie_g 19:18 20 Mar 03

click here there is a windows messenger remove tool here its in XP fixes I've used it myself with no problems.

spikeychris 19:22 20 Mar 03

Just to point out, the command is not case sensitive, Infact I don't know Any command that is CAsE SEnSItIvE. €d this command is perfectly safe as long as IE and OE are both closed down before hand.

VoG™ 19:28 20 Mar 03

This is the only case-sensitive command that I have come across

rundll32.exe iedkcs32.dll,Clear

(removes IE branding).

€dstow 19:43 20 Mar 03

My concern was because of Wul799's statement that (s)he was "AS you see I am fairly computer learner standard."

Believe me, I know the awful sinking feeling you get when you see your whole computer system collapse and die before your very eyes just because you typed in a wrong command and pressed Enter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…