removing McAfee from startup etc

shortcircuited 12:36 28 May 06

I have purchased a new computer and had to perform a couple of restores. Prior to the first restore, I uninstalled McAfee antivirus. I then had to restore to a different restore point. Now when I start up the computer it tries to startup McAfee but since I uninstalled it already, it cannot find the files. I want to completely get rid of McAfee from the computer (it may have come with AOL or with the Dell computer) I dont think I have a disk for it anywhere.

How do I do this?

In the meantime I have gone into msconfig and unticked all McAfee files from startup menu. But I want a proper solution.

Thank you.

pifko 12:42 28 May 06

In the all programs list "Start>All Programs" go to "Startup", if a McAfee icon is still present in that folder, delete it.

Delete all McAfee folders in "Program Files" "C:\Program Files".

Go to "Add/Remove programs" in control panel, if McAfee is still there, click modify/remove and Windows may tell you it can't find the uninstaller and may ask if you want it to be removed from the list.

Try some of those possible solutions...Though I would have throught the MSConfig option would have worked...

skidzy 17:07 28 May 06

Firstly have you removed all traces of Mcafee from add and remove programs.
Maybe tring trying this will help click here look under the startup tab for anything relating to Mcafee and delete.Then run the ccleaner.After that run this click here
this will clean any obsolete registry paths.

Finally you may like to consider running this for a thorough clean up click here

Reboot

If unsure of using these tools create a restore point first.

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…