Removing Mcafee Privacy Service

Willow12 22:07 22 Jun 06

My PC came with 3 years McAfee internet security. A part of this is their Privacy Service which had to be selected to install seperately which I did. I wish I hadn't, and now I cannot stop it!

Whenever I bootup now it asks for a password before I can go online which is getting really annoying. I can disable the function from the McAfee Security Centre application but then it just puts itself back on for every fresh logon. Does anybody know how I can disable this permanently? It does not have its own place in Add Remove Pro so cannot do it that way without losing McAfee in its entirety.

I use XP.

woodchip 22:17 22 Jun 06

Do This, First go to Control Panel Double Click Add Remove Programs Icon click on Mcafee click remove. Then go to Start Search type Mcafee on C:\ drive if that's where you installed it, then delete all Mcafee that it finds. You could then do this. To clear it.
Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Mcafee and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Mcafee then reboot your computer

big bloke66 22:18 22 Jun 06

Hi
mine used to do the same, but there is a box you can tick so it signs you in automatically.
but for the life of me icant remember.
Have you tried there help site.click here

I've got the Mcafee suite and Antispyware.I made the mistake of doing a complete install and you're right the privacy part is a pain,the spam killer isn't much better.When i did a reinstall I left them out.As I've got Windows defender,Spybot,antispyware did'nt need it.Anyway if you've got Win Defender,it'll show you were McAfee Privacy is starting from,or you can run Msconfig.Which is START>RUN>Type in msconfig>START UP tab>this will show you what runs at start up.You should be able to find the entry that starts McAfee Privacy just Uncheck the Box shut down Privacy service then restart the computer,Privacy Service should'nt run then on start up.

woodchip 22:31 22 Jun 06

For Servise you need to go to Control Panel\Admin\Servises Double click on McAfee and choose Disable then apply OK

Willow12 23:04 22 Jun 06

Woodchip
I was not after killing McAfee entirely. I will still keep virus scan and firewall etc. Control Panel\Admin\Services did not have one just for the Privacy Service.

Bigbloke
Thanks for the link. I have joined the forum there now and posted the same question, but in the meantime ......

Horsethief
I took the opportunity to go through my whole startups list and removed a few things that Dell obviously felt that I needed but I dont! Also was able to find the specific startup for McAfee Privacy Service and unchecked it. And horray, no more password!

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac