removing lovex.exe

steve0 21:27 13 Oct 03

Have friend's machine that has been infected with this dialer - lovex. How to remove it - have tried Lavasoft, but program still remains.

Will Norton antivirus 2003 remove it - he has this, but allowed virus definitions to get out of date.

Will spybot search and destroy remove it?

MAJ 21:29 13 Oct 03

Norton should remove it, steve0. click here

MAJ 21:31 13 Oct 03

If Norton doesn't work for him, try AVG click here it's free with free updates.

steve0 23:19 13 Oct 03

Thanks for replies - when I look at the Norton link it says you need a program that can deal with with expanded threats - ie dialers as well as the usual trojans, worms and viruses. Does Norton 2003 cope with this or will he have to buy 2004?

MAJ 23:23 13 Oct 03

I don't use Norton myself, steve0, but if you do manage to get rid of lovex, SpywareBlaster click here is an excellent program that keeps diallers and those sorts of trojans from ever installing on your system.

steve0 23:41 13 Oct 03

Thanks Maj - will try Norton tomorrow - also try loading spywareblaster

steve0 16:00 14 Oct 03

Have tried spywareblaster - does not find or remove lovex.exe. Norton 2003 with latest updates also doesn't find it. Looks like will have to upgrade to Norton 2004. Went to AVG site - doesn't look promising - no mention in their searches of any lovex.exe

Does anyone have any suggestions before my friend buys the Norton upgrade?

Jester2K II 16:21 14 Oct 03

Simple solution.

1) Start menu, Run, Type MSCONFIG and hit enter.

2) Click the Startup tab and look down the list and identify the file that is lovex.exe Untick it.

3) Close MSCONFIG and reboot.

4) Now manually delete the file. Careful not to double click it or it'll install again.

Jester2K II 16:23 14 Oct 03

Or boot into Safe Mode and delete it from there.

steve0 19:20 14 Oct 03

Thanks Jester - thats what I've just done this afternoon - I must have read your mind - it works, problem solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…