Removing key caps from keyboard

The Belarussian Mafia 11:15 14 Feb 05

Am I right in thinking you can get a screwdriver under the keycaps on a keyboard and remove them without doing any damage? (Seem to remember seeing this done years ago.) The wife's been at the chocolate and large shards are visible below the keys (not to mention a staple and various other paraphenalia).

HappySoul 11:17 14 Feb 05

Try turning it upside down and give it a good shake. Have the hoover ready.

€dstowe 11:18 14 Feb 05

Some you can, some you can't.

Be prepared to buy another.

The Belarussian Mafia 11:23 14 Feb 05

HappySoul - good advice, but I've tried that, not not mention tweezers. Man you should have seen the FILTH that emerged...

€dstowe, sounds like you've learned the hard way. I'll think twice before giving it a go now. Thanks.

spuds 11:32 14 Feb 05

Some cleaning tips click here

Diemmess 11:38 14 Feb 05

I have a homemade gizmo which is like tweezers in principle but has business ends like flat paddles with the edges sharply turned in at 90 degrees.

The "blades" have to be slim, tough, and accurate enough to slip through the gap, yet hold their shape when a steady pull is made to lift the cap.

I made mine from some phosphor-bronze weather strip soft soldered inside an old pair of tweezers. They work but need repeated re-dressing of the turned in tips. More support accross the beaks would help that.

Be careful about one-sided pulling, some of the larger key caps have fragile plastic lugs.

I'm sure I've seen ready made ones somewhere in the past, but regular keycap removal is taking CCleaning a mite too far!

The Belarussian Mafia 11:39 14 Feb 05

Spuds - nice link, can't ask for more than that! Many thanks.

The Belarussian Mafia 11:41 14 Feb 05

Diemmess - thanks for the tips.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…