Removing Icon Arrows

zootboy 15:15 11 Dec 03

Hello everyone

I have a vague recollection of seeing a tip somewhere quite some time ago that enabled the removal of the small white arrows from Desktop icons.

Does anyone know how to do this ?

simplest way is to use the TweakUI powertoy from microsoft. I dont know if the legacy version for the old 9x string is still available direct but can probably be found somewhere on the web.

Jester2K II 15:57 11 Dec 03

Search click here for TweakUI 1.33 for Win9x PC or TweakUI for XP.

Patr100 22:43 11 Dec 03

Of course you can remove them but remember that the arrow means it's a shortcut while no arrow means it's a file in the desktop folder. If you remove it you won't be able to tell the difference - Careful what you delete......

Audeal 23:40 11 Dec 03

I agree with Patr100 about not knowing which are shortcuts and which are file icons. I have on numerous ocasions (In Win 98)deleted what I thought was a shortcut, only to find I had deleted the file. Also when copying a file I have copied the icon instead of the file. When I had deleted the (file)icon I found that I had only a useless icon instead of the file.

My advice is to leave them as they are. I do now and I have not made that mistake since. Be warned.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…