Removing HD Partition

Bagsey 09:20 06 Jan 11

My wife has an Acer 5920 laptop running MS Vista.
It has a HD which is partitoned and she is running out of room on the main partition and now WANTS me to combine the two. Can someone please tell me how to do this. What do I need in the way of software. I am reasonably technical but have never done this. Thanks for any help.

rawprawn 09:26 06 Jan 11
  Taff™ 09:29 06 Jan 11

Acer laptops are usually partitioned 50/50 split. How big are each of those partitions?

In reality it would be better to have the Operating System on the C drive partition and the data on the D drive. Then if Vista had to be restored to the C drive the data would remain intact on the other partition.

Taff™ 09:35 06 Jan 11

click here This guides you through moving your document, music, pictures and other data folders to the other partition.

Personally I would do that and then reduce your C drive partition down to about 40-50 Gb leaving the D Drive for data. One word of warning though. Whilst it`s never happened to me personally, expanding and contracting partitions as rawprawns link has a risk factor - make sure you have backed up your data to an external drive first!

woodchip 10:00 06 Jan 11

Removing or changing Partitions may stop your Acer Recovery Working

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:21 06 Jan 11

Woodchip is right

better to just move your data as per Taff's guide.

Bagsey 17:38 06 Jan 11

Thanks to everyone who responded to my thread. I have taken Woodchips advice and am moving the data. Happy New year to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…