Removing harddrive?

meniscus 14:10 24 Mar 06

I have a 3 yr old computer at home whose motherboard is fried. Can I remove the harddrive an just directly substitute it into a new pc without any problems? Is there any compatability issues i should be worried about or anything i need to be careful with?

ShalafiStudios 14:18 24 Mar 06

I need more specifcations; a photo of the hard drive, name, make and model would help.

Otherwise, try taking it to PCWorld (they charge a fortune though)!

There usually are no problems but some drives are IDE (the normal) and some SCSI - a different technology that goes way back.

Monument 14:42 24 Mar 06

As the machine is three years old I assume it has Windows XP as the O/S. Xp will in effect have tied itself to the motherboard. If you transfer the hard drive to a new machine and expect it to boot it is very unlikely to do so. If you buy a new computer you will be able to install the old drive as a slave and access the files and folders.

It is very very unlikely to be a SCSI drive and will almost certainly be IDE.

meniscus 14:42 24 Mar 06

Im actually at work at present so cant send u a picture an havent a clue what model it is! Provided its an IDE one, could i install the harddrive in an older pc? (10yrs old with windows95) The pc with the fried motherboard had XP installed) Would that work?

meniscus 14:45 24 Mar 06

Is there any way i can formatt\wipe this drive on the 3 yr old pc?

ed-0 17:43 24 Mar 06

" Im actually at work at present so cant send u a picture"

Don't need a picture. Just the make and model number printed on the hard drive would do, if it is needed.

" Provided its an IDE one, could i install the harddrive in an older pc? "

Yes, if the bios can take that size.

"
Would that work? "

Do you mean to load the hard drive and boot to XP? In the 10 year old machine that has been running windows 95. No

ed-0 17:44 24 Mar 06

" Is there any way i can formatt\wipe this drive on the 3 yr old pc?"

Not unless you put in a new motherboard and that would depend if they were any other damaged components.

Diemmess 18:05 24 Mar 06

The motherboard in the PC is dead....So...

..... assuming there is no damage to the other components including the HD, any of these items can be connected into a working PC.

The HD cantains data and instructions that marry it to the old motherboard, so if it booted up and ran without disastrous errors you could count yourself very lucky indeed.

But if you connect it as a secondary HD you should be able to read files from it or wipe it free of everything, depending on what you want to do.

ade.h 18:44 24 Mar 06

Diemmess is quite right.

It's normal procedure to either a) run a repair from the OS CD prior to attempting to boot, or b) performing a clean installation.

This is due to the quantity of drivers that a motherboard uses and the effect that it has on the installation.

meniscus 21:15 26 Mar 06

Thanks lads, ill try that. You ve all been a great help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple