Removing file on FTP server

geoff47 16:40 02 Dec 05

I have taken the plunge and signed up with Web-mania to host my site.
I have got my domain and have uploaded my site.
Now all I can see is a holding page that tells me that I must remove a file named "index htm" from my FTP server.
I need some guidance....I have looked ,and I have contacted Web-mania via their live help (brilliant idea) but still with no joy.They gave me some help links but I lost contact with them (links where from a chat box,with no back facility)
I am using NOF8 and I think it may be playing up,it is very slow.
I have looked for the file,by opening the left side icon for Publishing and connected to the server,but without success.
Any help for what must be a simple problem?
Many thanks

geoff47 20:37 02 Dec 05

Some of that makes sense...John or fourm member?
I shall just alter my opening page to Index htm...with no L apparently and see what happens.
Many thanks...
till some one who knows comes along

Forum Editor 01:22 03 Dec 05

in a web site, and that's what a browser looks for. The browser doesn't mind whether the file is index.htm or index.html - it will download either.

The file that is in your WebMania directory is there as a holding page, and should be overwritten when you publish your website to the server for the first time. If it isn't, you'll need to use FTP software to remove it, but publish from NOF first, and see what happens.

Forum Editor 08:06 03 Dec 05

As usual, I'm the victim of my own shortage of time - typing rapidly, and not reading my text from someone else's point of view.

I wrote: "You can only have one html index file", and indeed that's true - you can only have one index file with the .html suffix. It was a typng error, and should have read as: 'You can only have one index.html file'. You can indeed have both index.html and index.htm files, but by default your browser will normally load the .html file.

I say 'normally' because web server operators can alter the default filename - and can specify more than one as a default. For instance, you'll find servers with several defaults, such as: index.html, index.htm, default.html, default.htm, welcome.html, and welcome.htm.

If the server operator specifies only one default filename (and this would tend to be index.html) then of course your index file must have the html extension.

I wish I hadn't started now, but there's more.............

The .htm extension was originally introduced for the benefit of people who were using Windows 3.1 - or even DOS - to design sites. These operating systems could not handle filename extensions with more than three letters, so servers and browsers had to be able to deal with index.htm files. Nowadays it's considered better design practice to use the .html extension. Your browser will look for the defaults, whatever they are, and that's why it's not necessary to add the index.html part to a web site's address - you can merely give the domain name with the http://w w w. prefix, and the browser will do the rest.

Taran 14:11 03 Dec 05

On web servers your site admin would normaly specifiy the list of permissable default files. This will include the file name AND the file extension.

On Apache you would adjust the httpd.conf file and include whatever file names the server is allowed to process as a default file, like this:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php index.shtml

You can also override this locally by using a .htaccess file, but let's not get into that just yet.

Windows IIS accounts are also configured for default file names and these may include Default.asp, index.aspx and others.

Some web hosts insist on a particular file extension for the index file, but after that any of the two common static page file extensions (.htm and .html) will (or should) be processed just fine within the limitations of the server.

The obvious exceptions are dynamic pages (.asp, .aspx, .jsp, .cfm, .php, .phtml etc) on servers that do not support them.

Not sure if I've added anything there or just made things that much worse.

Ho hum...

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:04 03 Dec 05

it could not be simpler. You click on 'Publish site' and it publishes without any help!

Make sure you have entered the correct details for your Remote Profile (password, user name etc.), ensure that 'Passive mode' is ticked, and off you go. It will even create the folder you want to load it into.

You may be causing problems by tinkering, it is normally a straightforward proceedure.

Forum Editor 23:43 03 Dec 05

is a simple matter. Open the site in NOF, and then click on the 'Publish' button (as opposed to the 'Publish site' button). Select your FTP server from the drop down menu that appears, and then you'll be presented with a split screen. Your local files will be on the left, and on the right you'll see the site structure on your server.

In this mode you can create and delete server directories, and move files from one folder to another, but be careful.....if you dabble too much you may end up with a site that doesn't work.

geoff47 00:30 04 Dec 05

I dont know if that is too much information?
I was confused before...now?

I shall start from the beginning.

I have I believe successfully uploaded the site,I had carefully printed out instructions when signing up and paying my money.
NOF8 has done the job,if it hadn't it would tell me it couldn't connect or similar.I get a message that the transfer was complete.I was told that "As your domain will not be pointing at our servers at this time etc" and got an alternative server to upload to,which I did,the same instructions said I could view my site on an alternative URL through their servers? (Not too sure if my terminology is correct)
But when viewing the site via either URL all I see is a holding page with the advice "Welcome to Web Mania hosting, this is a temporary holding page for your website, to delete this page, you will need to remove a file called index.htm on your FTP server."
I then returned to NOF8 and connect to the site viewing the split page,local files on the left,I then searched through the files on the right looking for anything called index.htm.
I have no done that after failing to find it on several tries...revisiting the site and refreshed the view....nothing again.

Perhaps as barry has said I have tinkered too much,dont know where the "passive mode" is though.
Can I start from scratch?
Not too technical please....please
Many many thanks Geoff47

Forum Editor 00:32 04 Dec 05

that you send me (via email) your FTP server address and login details? I'll take a look, and will then be able to advise you accordingly.

geoff47 01:02 04 Dec 05

Must go to my bed.....but I will be back...and triumph....with some much appreciated help of course.
Geoff47

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:15 04 Dec 05

registering your domain then immediately uploading your site? That could be the problem. It takes sometimes 24 hours to get the domain going, and if I remember correctly from my own experience with web mania they give you a tempory address while waiting.

I don't think I used this, I just waited. I may be wrong about this though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…