Removing a corrupted program.

Alan Ryan 14:54 02 Aug 04

I don't suppose there's any easy answer to this
one. I've wanted to get rid of Microsoft Office 97 (Professional Edition) for some time, but when I click the Remove Program button the following message comes on screen:
"Set Up Initialization Error: Set up cannot access the required initialization file"
I assume this means there's a corrupted element of the program that's blocking its removal ?
Does anyone know (someone will) what should be my next move please ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:05 02 Aug 04

install again will relace files then uninstall.

or

delete all office files and folders using explorer. then clean the registry with Registry cleaner :-
Regseeker click here

Alan Ryan 15:18 02 Aug 04

OK Thanks: I see you advise an either/or - reinstall or get a Regseeker on the job. Which method is the least likely to cause me further problems ? I hardly ever tamper with the registry because I don't have enough knowledge to be confident that I won't make things worse or arrive at a state I can't manage.

jonnytub 15:21 02 Aug 04

not sure on this maybe fruit bat can confirm. by putting office 97 cd in the cd tray you should get an option to uninstall, repair or modify an installation.

Choose repair, this would be the least evasive method.

Alan Ryan 15:23 02 Aug 04

I'll let the CD autostart and see what happens> Thanks.

Alan Ryan 15:39 02 Aug 04

Loaded CD: here's what happens. No install wizard or repair option appears - just about 50 icons. Clicking the Autostart icon takes you round in a circular tour that ends up where you began. Nothing appears to get loaded - or if it does, there are no screen prompts to help.

mbp 15:44 02 Aug 04

Alan, let us have the details when you have done it. I have had similar problems with Microsoft's Office 2003. Microsoft have not posted a solution on their Knowledge Base either. I have suddenly lost confidence in MS Office products. Removing Office also corrupted my XP program with no solution in sight except reinstalling my OS.

Alan Ryan 15:52 02 Aug 04

I'd be glad to share the secret of removing this program - if I ever manage it. This is my second attempt. A few months ago I tried to get rid and failed when I got out of my depth. The Microsoft Knowledgebase (On Office 97 Pro) is supposed to help but my head fell off before I got the sense of it.
Alan R.

gudgulf 15:56 02 Aug 04

On the Office cd can you find an icon that says "setup" ? If you can ,click on that- it should get you to the install/repair option.

Alan Ryan 17:22 02 Aug 04

OK Gudgulf - you're spot on. Found the Setup.exe icon clicked it and 3 options appear: Add/Remove : Reinstall : Remove All
The only reason I haven't chosen one yet is the memory of my previous attempt to get rid of this application and which resulted in a computer crash that I needed help to recover from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…