Removing certain icons from screen

Meshuga 17:37 04 Nov 04

I have changed from a USB ADSL modem to an Ethernet ADSL router/modem and have unplugged the usb modem. This has left the adsl modem config shortcut icon and the adsl easy dialup shortcut icon on my desktop. As I want to keep them in case I need to refit the modem I moved them into my "Unused desktop shortcuts" folder where they show, but I cannot get rid of them from the desktop. If I delete them they come back. The only way I can think of is to remove the entry from Add&Remove but that would defeat the object of keeping it for future use. Any suggestions please. OS is XP Home. Meshuga.

iambeavis 18:18 04 Nov 04

Un-install using add/remove. As long as you have the disc which came with the modem you can always re-install at some time in the future , if need be.

Meshuga 18:40 04 Nov 04

Had realised that of course, just thought there might be an easy way just shifting them out of sight. Thanks for your response. Regards, Meshuga.

iambeavis 18:44 04 Nov 04

C:\Documents and settings\your name\Desktop - look for them in there and, if there, delete.

Meshuga 20:17 04 Nov 04

iambeavis will check that out. Meshuga.

Meshuga 20:29 04 Nov 04

Have checked Docs and settings as you suggested and they were in there so I deleted them, rebooted , and there they were , back again. Think I`ll have to uninstall. Thanks anyway. Meshuga.

iambeavis 20:38 04 Nov 04

Sorry about that, Meshuga. Tenacious little suckers, aren't they - I just hope they go after you un-install! But before you do that try the same thing substituting All Users for Your Name.

Meshuga 22:20 04 Nov 04

Will do. I have just posted a new thread about viruses that you might care to look at to see if you can help. Meshuga.

Meshuga 22:52 04 Nov 04

Have done as you suggested using " all users" instead of my name and that tells me that what I am looking for is not available and may have been moved. Meshuga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…