Removing Bios Name/Branding

ACOLYTE 15:46 23 May 08

I have just been given a pc,nothing fancy just an old Apricot MS series,the guy who gave it me cleaned what he could from the Hdd,but it still has his name and address on the bios when it starts up,i was wondering if this can be removed,he has tried but couldnt figure out how to do it.Also it has a Digital Fingerprint password that you have to enter at bootup,thats ok i have all the info i need,but i would rather it booted stright into windows without this option to input a password,i have tried looking in the bios but i cannot see anything about passwords in there.

woodchip 16:16 23 May 08

cannot be done, unless you had a bios custom written

rossgolf 16:22 23 May 08

is the digital fingerprint thing software related? because if you find the software then you can uninstall it

woodchip 16:26 23 May 08

Yes its software but you cannot change it, its the BIOS software. It may be posible to turn it off in the BIOS some allow this. But if not, you are stuck with it

ACOLYTE 16:30 23 May 08

I am not really wanting to mess with the bios,its an old pc and still runs win 95,and i havent used that in a long time lol.

woodchip 16:31 23 May 08

look in the bios it may turn off. try pressing del as computer is starting

ACOLYTE 16:33 23 May 08

I have looked in the bios,and i didnt see anything about passwords or how to remove the name and address.

woodchip 16:34 23 May 08

Then you are stuck with it

Technotiger 16:52 23 May 08

Try doing a Search for it, including All Hidden Files/Folders.

Or - if you can download and run PC Wizard it might show the Password after clicking on the Keys icon.

click here

Technotiger 16:52 23 May 08

Sorry, just re-read your Post - you already have the info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 23 May 08

Yes you can switch this off or overwrite with your own name.
I have an old HP laptop where name and address is set in BIOS' but is at work and will not be able to look at the BIOS till Wednesday at earliest.

The settings are usually in the BIOS under security or configuration settings where you would set the BIOS passwords. If it has a supervisor password set you may not be able to get at the relevant location to make the changes unless you know that password.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5